Saturday, September 19, 2009

Flintoff rejects England contract to go freelance

London: Andrew Flintoff is set to become world cricket's first freelance player after rejecting the offer of a contract with the England national team.

Flintoff rejects England contract to go freelance

The England and Wales Cricket Board last week offered Flintoff a second-tier incremental contract following his retirement from Test matches, but the 31-year-old allrounder has turned it down in favour of travelling the world to play for different teams on short-term deals.

The arrangement will allow Flintoff, who is recovering from knee surgery in Dubai, to decide which England matches he is available for.

"I was flattered to receive the offer of an incremental contract from the ECB, which I wasn't really expecting, but at this stage of my career I don't think I need to be told when to play and when to rest," Flintoff said. "I have played international cricket for 11 years and know my body's capabilities."

Whether England picks him is another matter since the ECB may be irked by what could be seen as a decision motivated by financial considerations.

His agent told a national newspaper on the weekend that Flintoff intended to play for as many as six teams on five continents next year, including Twenty20 in the lucrative Indian Premier League.

No comments: